This last month has been a busy time for Eli – lots of new skills emerging and lots of things to learn.
So, what is Eli like at 13 months?
- Weight: 20lb 11oz (9.4kg) (in vest and nappy now he no longer needs to be stripped down to get weighed).
- Clothing Size: 9-12 months
- Teeth: 2 bottom central incisors, 2 top central incisors and top right lateral incisor.
- Mobility: crawling very, very fast, able to stand without support for as long as he wants to, able to squat and stand up from a squat (doesn’t need anything to pull up on anymore), walking! – taking up to seven steps at a time and really trying to walk instead of crawl, won’t be long now until he’s a fully fledged toddler.
- Communication: still screeches for attention but much less now, says ‘dis’ (meaning ‘I want to look at this’, ‘give me this’, ‘what is this?’), ‘der’ (meaning ‘take me there’ – usually pointing to outside) and ‘um, um’ (meaning ‘yum, yum’ which I always say to him whilst he’s eating, can clap and wave but generally prefers not too, still very occasionally signs milk, signs more with one hand, he recently went through a stage of shaking his head most gravely if I said no (now he just ignores me).
- Sleep: still getting most of an evening to myself – he’s been really unsettled recently with a tooth that just. won’t. erupt. (I am tired!)
- Playing: ring stackers are his favourite toys and he’ll spend ages taking the rings off and putting them back on, he likes to climb to the top of his toy garage like a mini King Kong, he loves pushing things around – walkers, the aforementioned toy garage, tables, chairs…
- Eating: doesn’t eat much but generally not bothered by tastes (did spit out an olive which I’m in full agreement with as they are yuck), will mug me for anything I am eating, likes to throw his food on the floor for the cats to eat (he learnt this early on and finds it most entertaining), I’ve just started giving him a spoon or fork for every meal which he thinks is fantastic.
- Personality: just a wonderful baby, happy to play by himself but likes to come and see me for the occasional cuddle, interested in everything, really enjoying having books read to him (especially those with textures to feel).
We’ve had a busy month, with the two big kids in school most of the time Eli and I have been spending lots of time with friends and at various groups. Eli particularly likes groups with older children he can play with – he enjoyed playing in cardboard boxes with an almost 2-year-old at our ones group yesterday. With all his recent advances I’m looking forward to the next month and even more new skills.