I must admit – I’ve been intending to write this review for a while but have found myself putting it off instead of just getting in there and writing it. I think this is mainly because I love gNappies but haven’t always wanted to use them. I know that sounds strange but there were a few reasons:
- very neat fit - definitely the slimmest fitting nappy we have;
- can wear tighter trousers that are a no go with other nappies as the way they fit means they never leak at the waistband (unless the tabs are done up too tight);
- look great – lots of colours and cute prints to choose from (especially for girls – they do some very cute dress and nappy combos);
- easy to put together – consist of a gPant (cotton outer that can be reused if not dirty), a snap-in gPouch (waterproof and breathable) and a gCloth (the absorbent bit that fits in the gPouch);
- leaks don’t tend to cause much bother – I tend to find the gPant gets wet/dirty but not the clothes Eli is wearing.
- tricky to fit well – there really is a knack to fitting these nappies, if you don’t get it right they will leak;
- need changing more regularly than some other cloth nappies – 2-3 hours is about as long as we can go without leaks;
- not as reliable in the sling as other nappies – due to compression breaking the seal of the gPouch I think.
A few months ago I was getting very frustrated with my gNappies, I struggled to get more than one wear out of a gPant due to leaks and I just couldn’t work out where I was going wrong with the fit. Well I think I’ve got it sussed now, you really, really, really have to make sure that the pouch is right in the crease of the leg. The fitting info from gNappies does tell you all of this but I don’t think I realised until recently just how deep into the crease the pouch had to go and getting it in the right place turns these nappies from duds to in regular use (so much so that we had a total gNappy day today). There are helpful videos on YouTube (search for gDiapers the brand’s US name).
Since I want to do a review for each type of nappy we use, the vital stats for gNappies:
How many do we have?
- 6 gPants (Game Day – navy and red stripes – is my personal favourite)
- 12 gPouches
- 12 gCloth
Which sizes do we have?
We have medium gPants and I’m pretty sure that’s all we’ll need until Eli potty trains as they are good up to 28lb. We only started using cloth when he was 13lb so never needed a smaller size.
How long would we be able to use just this part of our stash?
2 and a bit days (we would have to use a different nappy at night, these are not night nappies).
How often do these nappies need to be changed?
To avoid leaks it is best to change these every 2-3 hours.
How easy are these nappies to wash?
We wash all our nappies together and don’t need to do anything special for these. As we wash at 40°C I don’t bother to separate off the gPants to wash with clothes (as is the gNappy recommendation). All I need to do is make sure the pouches are unpoppered from the pants and that the velcro tabs are turned back.
How long do they take to dry?
- the gPants dry quickly in the tumble dryer or hung on an inside drying rack at times when everything else is hung outside (they shouldn’t be put in the sun to dry as it will affect the dyes);
- the gPouches air dry overnight;
- the gCloth dry easily in the tumble dryer or will be dry within 4-5 hours on the line outside.